CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Dessert For The Heart

My heart flutters happily at the chance of feasting on desserts and since I am in the business of making other people happy too, feasting becomes almost a daily affair. Most desserts are beautifully laden with either lots of sugar, butter, eggs, shortening or cheese. The more the tastier, the creamier the better. However what this heart aches for, it cannot have anymore. Therefore, changes to the recipes needed to be made to accommodate my sweet tooth as I don't think extraction of the invisible tooth is an option to either me or the dentist.

I for one love love love fruit pies. The combinations of the crumbly buttery pastry with the custardy or cheesy layer, fill the gaping cavity in my sweet tooth. It is always the perfect dessert to end a meal, sometimes, it becomes the main meal for me to start the day ;o). Below is a recipe I love doing whenever whatever whenever feelings creep in and it is the mood booster for any day of the week. It is soooooo sedap, so guilt free, so unwicked, so good that you can hear your heart saying "...thank you, I love you" for it. I never really measure when I do this but for your reference, I had to yesterday and below are the rough measurements. This recipe is for you kakyong!



Eggless, Butterless, Healthy, Your Heart would Love You for It Strawberry Pie

The Crust
(Do the crust first and let it cool, once cooled start on the filling)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon castor sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt of rock salt
2 tablespoons of cold milk mixed with 1/2 cup of canola oli.

You need to whisk together the dry ingredients in a small bowl. In another bowl, mix the oil and milk and beat till frothy. Then add the wet ingredients slowly to the dry ingredients and knead until a ball of dough is formed. It should be soft. You may need extra flour or maybe less for this. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

After the dough is rested, take it out and you may press the dough onto your pie plate evenly. The dough is perfect for an 8 inch pie plate. Bake till it is golden brown maybe about 20 to 25 minutes.

The filling

1/2 cup of sugar
3 level Tablespoon of cocoa powder
4 level Tablespoon of cornflour
1 1/2 cup of Low Fat Milk
1 Tablespoon of golden syrup(if you don't have you can omit this.)
1/2 cup of yogurt ( I use tesco's natural yogurt 99sen each)
1/2 teaspoon of rock salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Put sugar, cocoa powder, cornflour and salt into a pot and mix well. On a slow fire, pour the milk, the golden syrup, yogurt and vanilla and whisk until all is incorporated and thick. Do not leave the custard unattended as lumps would be formed. If this happens jugak, you may want to beat it using an electric mixer to smooth out the mixture. Once it has thickened, remove it from the heat and straight away spread it onto the pie crust and leave it to set in the fridge.


You can top the pie with fruits of your choice or maybe crushed toasted pecans or have it plain just like how my kids love it. I had some strawberries with me yesterday, Tesco was sellling them cheap at RM4.70 per box, so had to buy!

I love everything about this dessert especially the crust. It tastes buttery and crunchy and most importantly it does not get soggy after a while. I love how it comes out every time sans all the fattening ingredients like butter and egg yolks. The chocolate custard, tastes divine as well.

Happy trying!

The chocolate custard filling has yet to set but the kids insisted for a slice, and they both had three in one sitting.


9 treats:

Mrs & Miss Vanilla said...

Wow Wiz, u certainly won me over this...don't think I'll feel quilty after munching non-stop on this...
Rasanya x pernah rasa guilty pun kot...

Edi said...

wah kak wiz, recipe ni mmg bess! guilt free! nanti nak try lah! tq so much.

Wiz said...

Murni- hehehe, so you never had to deal with your conscience huh? Good but do not let your heart tell you otherwise tau. Bahaya. Saya sekarang budak baik so kena makan pun ala2 budak baik juger kekeke.

Edi- Memang tak rasa guilty sebab saya hanya dapat makan satu slice jer, yg lain sumer anak2 dh prongap. But they left the sour strawberries for me though. Masam tul Tesco nya strawberry patut murah.

R&R Family in Germany said...

Thank you..thank you...I shall try baking this asap surely.

Wiz said...

Kakyong, if you like you can substitute the cocoa powder with unsweetened choc bars. I bet it would taste better. I am making some more of this today, and the kids have requested for it plain jer without any fruits.

PatinPasta said...

Kak Wiz,
Am loving your new projects! The crust does look tempting! Kalo guna untuk salty dish, buleh tak?

Psst.. have converted 4 persons with your date bars! Me included!

Wiz said...

Aida- Thank You Aida! The crust memang sedap for me. Yes you can use it for savoury dish, just put a teaspoon of sugar instead of 1 Tablespoon n maybe letak 1 teaspoon of salt or 3/4 teaspoon of salt. I think the crust is good for cheesecake as well. Happy to know that Aida. InsyaAllah more recipes good for the heart COMING!

Art lover, cinnamonworldofcolours said...

Salam Wizz..
I bought the Garam Bukit already..
but could not fine the same brand as yrs..mine is brand Halaqah, itu yang ada. Nyway, will try..thanks so much!

Wiz said...

Walaikumsalam Artlover,

Garam Halaqah tu ok but it is white kan? white means it has been bleached as the natural colour of rock salt it pink. It is more for the use of cooking. I don't know why but eversince I wrote about the salt here, I find it hard to buy the garam bukit tu myself, selalu habis. Selalu kat Carrefour tu yang pink tu tak der org beli pun, now that would be the first to finish.

Hope you get yours soon and try it k.