I am dating a lot these days, going out of my way to make new acquaintances and treading the path I should have long taken. I haven't been treating myself right with the intoxicating relationship in the past. Although they were many cherishable, beautiful moments but deep inside I just knew it would not be good for my heart.
When I made the decision to move on, I took the pledge of not allowing myself to be enticed by the sweetness of it all. It was harder than I thought, it was for me life changing. And now that I am dating again, I feel free to choose who is the best suitor for this heart of mine. I trust myself enough not to fall again for titillating looks and piquant appearances, instead choose one for the better.
I am always on the look out for the right balance of highs and lows and today I found one. I am dating this fellow for now. :o)
1 and half cup of diced pitted dates.
2 tablespon of orange juice or any juice you have
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 and a half teaspoons baking powder
3/4 brown sugar
½ teaspoon rock salt
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon low fat spread, melted
1 tablespoon hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup toasted walnuts or pecans, chopped
1. Toss the dates in the fruit juice and let them sit for at least 30 minutes(I just left them for 15 minutes)
2. Preheat the oven to 175 Celsius. Line an 8-inch square pan with foil and coat the inside with non-stick spray; set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, salt, and eggs until smooth. Mix in the butter, hot water, and vanilla, then stir in the flour mixture. Use a spatula to stir in the dates (and any liquid) and the pecans.
5. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let date bars cool, then lift out the bars. Peel away the foil and cut into squares. The bars will keep for up to four days at room temperature, or can be frozen for up to two months.
Since the doctor has cautioned me about my cholesterol level, I am now embracing the low fat and low calorie dessert diet. So from time to time I would feature recipes which are in this category and hopefully convert more people to the healthy way of eating.
Come, let's be my date for this project.