CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, June 27, 2011

Ekonomi Rumah Tangga

Thanks so much Nazia!

It's a subject I never took when I was in my secondary years. We had a choice between Perdagangan or ERT and for some undomesticated reasons I took the former. Two classes after, I regreted my choice as our teacher Miss Lee's enthusiasm was a notch milder to Hurricane Katrina.

I could never remember learning anything from her class. We were either too stunned of her voice or too frozen to connect any brain activities. It was the exact scenario when you have your ghosts infested nightmares, you just don't dare to move a single muscle for fear of being noticed. Everyone sat still, praying she didn't point her index finger to our faces during her question and answer sessions. I found out much later after I left school that she was admitted to an asylum. I knew those eyes were too deep a stare. I am glad she went to place that could make her feel better.

My daughter is currently taking ERT and it was not of her choosing. The system goes by name fortunately. I am thankful she was forced to take the subject as I want her to be more domesticated than I was and anyway I was always curious of the lessons taught in this subject.

Yesterday morning she made us breakfast. A plate full of skon titis was served for us to enjoy and scrutinize. I had a smile on my face for her effort, it's a good sign. We thanked her for what looked like American pancakes but she was adamant it was skon titis. But we enjoyed our breakfast nonetheless whatever name it deserved to be called.

The syllabus of ERT focuses on among other things the many types of Malaysian cooking ranging from the traditional kuihs to some modern ones. I flipped through her book and felt very relieved that this should be a subject she could do well in. Names like kuih rengas, lompang, seri muka, pulut inti, lopes, keria, tepung talam, tepung pelita to name a few ring many bells in my ears. There are recipes too which jolted me with the excitement to try. But my happiness was shortlived when she produced me her exam result for this subject. She just managed a 65. The bells that rang in my ears were missing in hers. She didn't know most of the kuihs mentioned above, neither did she know what are they made of nor how they looked and tasted. Uninitiated, she just could not produce good understandings, hence the poor results. And I haven't been the exemplary mum either to introduce these interesting kuihs to her. Sigh.

So yesterday, I brought her to the pasar malam and we bought one of each of the kuihs mentioned in her book and later had a tasting session. As expected, she didn't like most of them and I ended up eating all of them. ;o)

And these thighs now resemble more of Robocop's. Semua gara2 ERT!

Thanks so much Asyida!

13 treats:

zue said...

Salam Wiz,
during my time, it was called SRT , Sains Rumah Tangga and it was a compulsory subject but I enjoyed it very much, all those cooking and baking, yes, there were scones and rock buns , and lompang and ayam masak minangkabau just to name a few. I still use some of the recipes until today. As for the sewing, it does help me in mending baju2 koyak or to jahit thelencana on my kids' school uniforms:-) , just what I did yesterday, took out my 'berhabuk; sewing machine and sew my kain batik sarung.
Those lessons those days do come in handy now! and so sorry about your teacher, but I am more sorry for you.....:-(
Well, you certainly don't need an ERT class to be where you are now, with oyur gorgeous cakes, it just need some patience and passion, maybe not some, but a lot...
have a nice Tuesday Wiz!

Ida said...

i am excited just looking at the whole curriculum.kalau ku tau dulu betapa mahal nak amek some of the skills yang diajar percuma dah lama i mintak transfer amek ERT :)

http://www.moe.gov.my/bpk/sp_hsp/p_teknik&kemahiran/HSP_Aliran_Teknikal_13mp/e%20rumah%20tangga.pdf

Edi said...

last2 kak wiz kena makan eh... hahahaha.. lawak... budak2 mana lah nak makan kuih2 tradisonal tu kan? tapi kan, i think jadi cikgu ERT ni lah paling bess kot. kenapalah tak jadikan subject tu interesting utk students.. mesti semua score..

Wiz said...

Zue- your time is my time also la hehehehe. But now it is called ERT. Tu la I wished right now I had taken the subject sebab nampak mcm best jer bila kengkawan yg lain bawak balik food rumah. I am glad my daughter is in the course. She is sewing and cooking and learning recipes now. Balik bawak food but tak tau la kenapa tapi parents kena supply the raw mat. And setiap kali I je la pulak yg kena, heran.

Ida- kan? now ni expensive tau to take all these classes. But masalahnya bila my gir, bwk balik bhn jahitan, I yg ternganga sebab tak tau. Thanks for the link.

Edi- it is made interesting but my daughter ni dia tak pernah dgr kuih2 tu and bahan2 apa yg diperlukan. So she tried to memorise, bila memorise,ada tendency untuk lupa kan compared to you tau macam mana they look like and taste like. It's not something you have to learn like sejarah.

Miaw MM said...

sis..saya ambik pertukangan tangan dulu...and now bersyukur sgt coz blh fiX lampu, betulkan sink tersumbat, pasang perabot yg senang and most of the kerja kayu..you kowla my dearest hubby aka your brother tukan... heee

Ayu Safieza said...

Wiz...last time rasa mcm was forced to take this subject.....ekekeke...L:)now If ever I got a daughter, emang I nak she takes the subject....


pssst...I hate to see my thighs when they are kissing each other.....eeeeuuuuw....:P

Wiz said...

Linda- Ada yer pertukangan kayu? I didn't know that. My school didnt offer it. Your husband dulu amik the study of aliens, tu sebab dia spaced out jer most of the time. Please excuse him k.

Ayu- Your thighs kissing each other? I dont believe it! You do aerobics everyday! I do makanrobic everyday kehkehkeh.

zue said...

me again wiz!, interesting topic this SRT, i mean ERT, your time same time with me meh? don't think so, my time, zaman Dato' shake "You know I love You".....aahhhh, everytime that song came,we screamed:-)duduk asrama, all girls school lah katakan.
and that's why we need not bring anything, just go and learn and the best part was, when we were in the upper form, no longer studying this SRT, the juniors selalu bagi kat kakak2 senior ni what they baked or cooked, so nice, kan?but the sad thing was,when i returned to my school for her 50th golden jubilee celebration in 2007 ? can't remember, checked out our bilik masakan, so sedih, still the old cabinet, takdibaiki pun, but banyak berjasa, held so many good and sweet memories, alamak, nostalgialah pulak....sob sob.... sorry wiz, got carried away:-)
i know it's late, almost midnite, so good nite Wiz!i am off to my little kitchen.....

Wiz said...

Zue, no worries, I just got out from my kitchen and it is fast approaching 2am. Dalam tak der mojo pun these hands have to bake for a living. Part2 makan tu yang best tu kan. I hope my daughter will learn lots from this course tak yah I ajar. Soemtimes kids learn better from others. Dgn kita rasa nak marah je. Kita pun kalau ajar anak orang lain tak der rasa nak marah sgt.
Ok go on baking, knowing you I am certain you have your kitchen top filled with many types of cakes!

- azlin - said...

Ija, I remember this SRT class well ! Back then..I used to be sangat lemah time nak class SRT..benci betul kena masak lauklah, masak nasilah, buat pulut intilah..etc..oddly enough..these days, I find cooking/baking very therapeutic/calming..with your cooking abilities I'm sure Iman will ace this subject (after yang dapat 65 ni lah..hehehe)

Wiz said...

YOu were in SRT ker dulu? hehehe, tak sangka cempedak telah pun bertukar menjadi nangka!

Masa tu memang time malas kan. I remember our mothers mcm dah hilang harapan pada kita and risau sama la nk anak dara yg tak tau masak dan mengemas rumah ni.

Kak Lin, she will ace it if I can help her buat skirt for her project, like???? saya jahit butang pun terhegeh2. Dah penin dah saya ni. Mungkin makyong akan diimport khas dari Ipoh pada waktu2 kecemasan.

edelweiss said...

salam wiz..

i took ERT when i was in secondary school...and grinning when u mentioned the skon titis...

betul...not pancake...skon titis!! heheheheheheh

Eine Frau aus Botnang said...

Kak Wiz love, smiling ear to ear reading all your posts that i have been missing in the tram. Terima kasih, u made my day. Love and bear hugs