CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Grandma Goodness

The first week of New Year was pure bliss. I didn't have any orders to make me prance around the kitchen, worry head over heals for the outcome. I am a worry pot as my cousin calls me and I embrace the given title with such finesse! So in the week of nothingness I did what all mums out there dream of doing, bake healthy for their kids.

My kids are big cookie people. They would have cookies for breakfast, for snacks in between meals, for desserts and for munches at school. And I love it when I can pack them all the healthy goodness from home. I am sure all mothers feel the same way and with that thought, I'd like to share the recipe below which is soooo good in taste and much better in nutrition, all packed in one great big biscuit.

Grandma's Chewy Raisin Oatmeal
Big Cookies

1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup plain water
put these two in a blender and puree it.

In another bowl
1/2 cup butter
1 large egg
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Beat all till fluffy and then add the raisin puree and beat until smooth.

In a separate bowl combine
2 cups of flour
2 teaspoon baking soda,
(sifted)
2 cups of oats of any kind,
1/2 cup of almond flakes or any type of nuts,
3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon,
1 teaspoon of salt,
3/4 cup of raisins.
(recipe adapted from Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipe Book)


If your kids do not like raisins you can substitute with chocolate chip.

Scoop the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and blend till everything is incorporated.




The batter will be thick. Drop a tablespoon of the batter onto a prepared baking sheet and flatten in. The cookies are supposed to be big but if you like smaller versions you may just use a teaspoon of the batter for uniformity.




Bake in a pre heated oven of 170 Celsius for 15 to 20 minutes or until your cookies come out golden. This is a chewy cookie but if you prefer them to be a little bit crunchy, just leave the cookies in the oven perhaps 5 minutes longer.

My kids are not crazy over raisins and cinnamon but they were quite taken with this one. They enjoy the cookies most with milk and due to the large amount of oats in the cookies, they stay full for much longer.





My outdated camera doesn't do justice to any of the baked goods I put up in my blog. It is not meant for food photography. For my cakes I always have to transport my cakes outside so it gives a better picture. If I have a better camera, I thought of doing more recipe sharing and maybe simple tutorials. Need a DSLR for that.

I think I need to bake another batch, they have been bringing these morsels to school.

Have a beautiful weekend folks!

16 treats:

- azlin - said...

I love chewy cookies too !

Shas said...

looks yummy, it's been a while since i last bake any cookies... maybe i should try this.

Mrs & Miss Vanilla said...

Normally bila I buat oatmeal cookies, raisin tu lebur je sekali dlm tu, tak pernah pulak puree... Maybe gotta give this a try. Don't worry about the gmbr. Mine also 2 x 5...

Murni

Wiz said...

Kak Lin- this is sooo chewy. You have to make it thick to turn it into chewy biscuits. But my kids like em crunchy so I left them in the oven a lil longer.

Shas- Salam Shas. Yes, should give this a try sebab bila makan tu rasa sgt healthy. My kids pun kurang snacking when they eat this as these cookies are very filling. I tried it sebab curious with the raisin puree tu. Thanks for dropping by!

Wiz said...

Murni - Yes, I was also curious with the puree. But the recipe also calls for 3/4 cup of raisins yg bukan di pureekan. I think the puree tu yg meng chewykan dia. Kita yg mak2 ni suka la sebab rasa mcm digestive mcm tu. I know my father would love it.

Rin said...

assalamualaikum wiz... thanks for the nitricious recipe - rin might try the recipe later:-) my kids probably 'dah muak' with cakes and cuppies tht i baked ... so, cookies like this will be great for a change....

have a nice day ahead.

Wiz said...

Walaikumsalam Rin,

Yes do give it a go. I like it very much and the cookies have been my breakfast for the past few days ni. I just eat 2 big piece and that kept me full for a few hours. Thanks for dropping by!

tina_bakes said...

Thanks for the recipe, Wiz...I may bake this for peeps at the office who, bila I bawak cakes and cookies will claim, "calories..calories!!" before they gorge it down without any remorse on their faces hahaha!!

I wish I have a DSLR too.. my DSLR-wannabe RM499 canon gets into bouts of coma these days, but syukur still working!!

R&R Family in Germany said...

Ija..I must, must try this. Jaja loves chewy cookies and she'll be here insyaAllah for the nxt 2 weeks.

Wiz said...

Tina-There are people who decline your cakes and says calories2 to them? oh rugi besar2. I think they would love the cookies. If you want to make it healthier maybe reduce the sugar and put extra2 raisins. My kids hate raisins so ada batch yg I tak letak but I know they still get the raisin goodness tu sebab I have put the raisin puree inside kan. So it is a win2 situation.

Wiz said...

Kakyong- Yes jaja would like these but if she doesnt like raisins just put choc chips but she still gets the raisin part tu via the puree! Have fun with her. Pasni saya nak post pretzels plak and they are so easy and sedap. You have all the ingredients to make them, all that we brought for you the other day.

Edi said...

kak wiz, thks for the recipe.. urm.. boleh mintak sikit yg dah siap bake tak? hehehe..

dont worry about the camera.. as long as there's enough light, your photos will turn out great la.. tambah pulak, all the cakes of yours dah mmg cantik tahap gaban, tak perlu dslr pun!

Wiz said...

Edi- Yes, I do need the dslr sebab my 299rgt camera ni mcm dah nak kaputt. Bila tgkap gmbar ada mc line2 tau. And I really need a lot of light if not gm,bar teruk sgt. And since my cakes most of the time siap mlm tu yang susah tu. Lampu dlm rumah tak good enough for this camera ni.

Kalu rumah dekat, tak yah mintak, tau2 dh sampai jer cookies.;o)

Wiz said...

Edi- Yes, I do need the dslr sebab my 299rgt camera ni mcm dah nak kaputt. Bila tgkap gmbar ada mcm line2 tau. And I really need a lot of light if not gm,bar teruk sgt. And since my cakes most of the time siap mlm tu yang susah tu. Lampu dlm rumah tak good enough for this camera ni.

Kalu rumah dekat, tak yah mintak, tau2 dh sampai jer cookies.;o)

Eine Frau aus Botnang said...

Kak Wiz dear, this is a must for me to try! This would be great for the kids' bekal to school & kindi, sebab dah takde idea dah nak pack for them apa. So kalau nak bagi dia crunchy put it longer in the oven eh? Thank you for sharing dearest sis!! Muahhs!

Wiz said...

Fasha dear,

Yes, a must try but it depends if your kids like raisins or not. Like I wrote just substitute with choc chip or grated chocolate since susah nak cari chips kat sana kan. Ini adalh effort nak duplicate recipe PIL awak yg tersohor tu hahahaha