CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 21, 2011

Chocolate Tofu Cake Pudding

I promised earlier there will be more tutorials this year, that is considered one of my new year resolutions. Another one is to write less and to show more, you won't find any of my nukilan rasa here (my brother described my blog just that, cis abang saya), instead, descriptive posts of recipes tried and tested at home. The operative word is Healthy Recipes and hopefully you would find them useful and helpful in creating nutritious dishes and desserts at home.

I have an Indian next door neighbour and they are vegetarians. I have been making them vegetarian cakes and there were times I was not too impressed with the results. They were good but not as good as the eggful ones. I googled for some answers to find substitutions for eggs and one of them is Silken tofu. Intrigued, I tried adapting normal chocolate cake recipes, tweaking here and there and substituting the eggs with the silken tofu. The tofu is the same one I used for my Chuchore recipe in my previous entry, though I wasn't sure if the one I used is the exact version of the substitute. Taram je la.

Here was what I did.

Make ready:

1 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon of baking powder,
1 teaspoon of salt,
3/4 cup of cocoa powder,
1 1/2 cup of Castor sugar

whisk all together and make a well in the middle.



Pour these wet ingredients below in the well:

1 cup of milk(you can use low fat milk)
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 cup of water mixed with 1 teaspoon of nescafe
1/2 cup of soft tofu (no eggs no eggs!)
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence



Then, blitz everything together.

Don't be alarmed, the batter will be a bit runny. Prepare greased and floured ramekins and pour the batter 3/4 way up. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 180 Celcius until the skewer comes out clean.

For the topping or the chocolate sauce. Make some ganache of 1 portion of milk to 2 portion of chocolate chunks. Let simmer 125gm milk (double boil method) and add 250gm of cooking chocolate. Mix untill the ingredients are well incorporated. Leave to cool.


Once the cake pudding is baked you can instantly pour the ganache on top and serve warm or cold whichever way you fancy them. My kids took charge of the pouring and they did it with such a kiddo finesse, in superfluous fashion! (Haih, it's the weekend tomorrow, let them enjoy what they like best.)
Verdict: The cake pudding is dense but smoth all the way. It tastes better than the eggless recipe that uses vinegar. Tastes like a decadent chocolate mudcake. It's a weekend dessert best shared amongst family and friends.


Hope you try this at home and show pictures of the chocolate tainted rows of teeth to me alright.

Enjoy!


6 treats:

Muna said...

yummy... must give this a try! thanks for sharing... xox

Mrs & Miss Vanilla said...

aaaahhhhh comfort food.....
how comforting..... :D

Murni

tina_bakes said...

looks decadent, alright!! there are many vegetarians at my workplace, always looking for new recipes. will pass this one around, for sure!

btw how many ramekins dapat from this recipe ya Wiz?? (is yours 2.5 inches in diameter measured from bottom?)

Wiz said...

Muna- Please do try. It is just soooo smooth and decadent and the best thing is you can have it guilt free, I had 3 ramekins already! Make sure the oil and the milk is reduced in fat then, go ahead and indulge. Will be making again insyaAllah.

Murni- I have tried many chocolate cake but to me this one is the winner in texture. It is not the fluffy type of cake but the texture keeps you coming back for more.

Tina, I have only 6 ramekins yg the standard size tu. The rest of the batter I letak dlm cake moulds. You can bake in two round 7 inches cake moulds and sandwhich the ganache in between and pour ganache lagi on top. It would not rise high, that's why I prefer them in ramekins. But it does not taste batat or too tepungish, it's a cross between mousse, pudding and cake. And the best part is you can eat guilt free. makan dia mcm ice cream, chilled and the cake stay so smooth and decadent. And you would just like to sit in one corner and and makan lagi dan lagi and lagi. It's is my fav chocolate cake thus far.

Ayu Safieza said...

Sis.....NO EGG!!!! I want I want I want....give me give me give.....what?? All gone....?...lain kali ayu dtg yer...

Eine Frau aus Botnang said...

Kak Wiz dear, hhaaha you cake almost go vegan! Unlike you I am very bad at buat testing testing ni, mesti masuk dalam tong sampah. You do it like a pro walaupun taram taram aje, selalu aje menjadi. Love mud cake and I am sure this taste as good. Bravo kak!