CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 2, 2009

Fallin' For Chicago Part I

Perfect Skyline

I didn't know what to expect, what to look forward to in Chicago. I wasn't brewing up anything fancy in my mind prior to the visit. Chicago to me then, was just another city built of famous sky scrappers which adoringly queue the shores of Lake Michigan, stamped on picture perfect postcards. There was much more to it I knowingly acknowledged, but when you are not clutching your most favourite person in the world in this the journey, everything falls pale to your eyes. My sister had warned me about its magic, before I even said yes to this whole untimely adventure. She equipped me with her own experience during her undergraduate time, where to go, what to see and what to do. It was a must, she exasperatedly repeated herself to board on the lake cruise as to live the scenes from "My Best friend's wedding" movie. "Romantic sangat!" she drooled, but I couldn't understand the need of me to do so since the only person I wished to be romantic with would be thousand and thousand of miles away.

Like the movie, we dismounted the train at the Union Train Station, pacing the underground smoky atmosphere along with probably hundred others. Emerging from the underground tunnel, the strong wind wasn't the only thing which took us by surprise, we were completely blown away with the entire 360 degree view.
The Sears Tower stood tall right before our eyes apparently tickling the clouds away. You could also hear murmurs between the trees and the ground, whispers amongst the buildings, mutters of the pebbles we trampled on and the occasional teases of the wind. The city was seemingly breathing, the city was alive! And we embraced it the moment the first gush of wind chanced upon our faces. Yes, it was that evident.

Enjoying the 360 degree view on top of the Chicago Trolley and Double Decker bus.

With a map in our hands, the Sugarflour Team consisting of Pn. Watie and family, Lisa, Chef and I searched our way around with our heads tilted up. It was difficult to ignore the beautiful high rise buildings as well as the perfect blue sky. There were many moments when the tilting was just to give praise to Allah, thanking the Almighty for every step these legs were opportuned to stride on this part of the Earth. Our urban adventure then started off with the hop on the Chicago Double Decker bus which would give us glimpses of the entire city with ease. We had less than 10 hours to immerse ourselves in everything Chicago, hence the guided bus tour ride.

From this signature tour we breezed through everything, from the underground streets to international-acclaimed sky scrappers as like the Millenium Park, The Michigan Ave Bridge, The Art Institute, The Field Museum, The Navy Pier, just to name a few. But the first stop we took was at the Navy Pier known to be Chicago's number one attraction. The carnival like atmosphere transformed us into little children jumping at the first sight of candy floss! We were trapped in a lost time zone, a Forest Gump kinda world with chocolates, pop corn, cookies, candies and sweets. Bubba the Chef, Lisa and I ran our fingers onto everything we laid our eyes on, curiosity didn't kill us but only ripped our treasured dollars from our torn pockets. When I spotted the cookie shop as seen on your right screen, instantaneously I thought of my sister. No, I didn't buy any to satisfy my cravings since each piece was sold at USD 4.99! Yikes! The only thing to do was to steal the sweet tasting aroma which somehow has caramelised the entire shop. I bet even the furniture tasted like chocolate chip cookie!

What else did I steal? ... wait for the upcoming entry. Got cakes to bake now folks. Enjoy the pics.


Sights and sounds at Navy Pier. The best place to be, entertaining the kid in you.

I warned you there were jumpings he he he, me looking like a @#$#@@!.

14 treats:

Ms Wong said...

Wiz, once again, nice entry, nice song, nice pictures..and most of all nice to see that you were happy because your pictures tell beribu2 lemon of happiness!

Kitchen Guardian said...

wiz,

ever since i saw glimpses of central park, i wanted to go to ny...now i want to go to chicago!! you and lisa were like jumping jelly beans am sure :-))

Wiz said...

Ms Wong, where are you reading me? Are you here in Malaysia? Yes I was contented, I was this little kid with a big bucket of pop corn most of the time, sugar high. We were skipping, jumping and toying around with everything. I wished my kids and husband were there but since they were not, I became the kid on their behalf. I enjoyed Chicago and if ada rezeki I would like to bring my family next time around. It's worth the 29 hour travelling journey.

Yanie - Chicago I belief is quite similar to New York. The Central Part to macam The Millenium Park in Chicago which I will highlight next. Go Yanie go, find a reason to go.

zue said...

Wiz, you took me with you to Chicago with your writing. It feels like reading one of those good novels where they are able to transport me into the story,( the way I felt whenever I read Sidney Sheldon or Jefrey Archer (long long time ago, now I am reading MArtha Stewart or Debbie Brown:-) ). They are so beautifully written and worded and I just so admire your writings,keep those writings coming cos I enjoy reading them as much as I enjoy looking and admiring your cake deco.:-)

Juliana Mohd Daud said...

wiz, tam sure jeles tengok ni...! and, ble tak tlg jgn blur2 kan gambar awak tu... :)

uya ahmad said...

mane bley blurkan gmbr teacher!!!
tak aci...hehehe...anyway, i've been here for a year...and never been to chicago!
can u believe it?
ahaks...cm seronok je...

Wiz said...

Zue - What you wrote is a recognition from someone who writes well herself. Your comment just blew me away, stronger than the wind in Chicago. Thank You!

Jules - Mana ada I blur2 kan gambar I? I just don't appear clear on photos la, macam a magic, out of this world entity mcm tu. Ooooooooooo spooky. Suh Tam bawak you gi sana k, pastu make sure you dance on the Lake Cruise tu tau.

Uya, apala Uya ni teacher pun dah sampai dulu! It was fun, but most importantly the company you are with that makes it memorable. Blur? mana ada blur, go and check your glasses.

O awak ingatkan awak sorang je boleh lompat raya yer? Teacher pun boleh lompat jugakla! ha ha ha jgn jearrous.

Ida said...

me still feel that u shouldve gotten me those huge cookies they have there...huhuhu NAAAKKK!!!

Wiz said...

Da - I just said I thought of you not to the extent of buying you the cookies ha ha ha. Awak to me will always be in pantang until you reach your goal kkkkkkkkkk. Stop binging.

hs said...

you took a perfect photo of chicago's skyline!Bravissima!

Wiz said...

HS - Well thank you hs. I think so too heeeeeeeeeeeee.

uya ahmad said...

teacher, u blur kan urself la, biar je la, takyah edit2...hehehe...

MHB said...

I love the Windy City and I tersangatlah jeles hokay?? am permanently green now, nak pakai baju bagi matching ngan skin colour pun dah susah!!

Wiz said...

MHB - Don't b jealous la. My feat is incomparable to the things you have accomplished, and you get to travel lots too. I ni skali skala. Kena bagi chan sikit sikit.