CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 5, 2009

For Sengkuang Sake

There's this internal ringing sound which has been piercing my ear begging me to put a halt to the rhyming schemes in my writing. Truth be told, I compose my words in whimsical sways at times when it is difficult for me to write conventionally. I struggle to write, words don't come cascading down from my mouth nor do they ooze out from my fingers when I type. I pant and I drown in my own incompetency and the only way to survive is to make it sound melodious, to my ears at least. It was fun though, I thought and wrote twice as fast which granted me the extra time to eat a slice of sengkuang topped with kuah rojak and crushed peanuts at Wati's stall in front of my son's school. And I have been doing just that lately, for the past one week. You know the feeling of seeing the world in a whirl wind, and you are inside unaffected by it, nothing mattered at that moment in time, it was only you, the sengkuang and that 2 minutes to yourself of sheer school girl's delight.

The sengkuang reminded me of my days in primary school. I used to buy the identical slice of sengkuang after school which only cost 20sen and at a corner I would stand savouring every bite of it. The sengkuang was also the reason why I was left by my school bus. The uncle selling the sengkuang was quite an icon those days that many had to queue up to have a taste of his famous rojak sengkuang, actually nobody queued, we were pushing, shoving each other aside which often created a mini tsunami of girls in pinafores circling the uncle's motorbike. Many a time my 20sen was lost in that tsunami and I ended up without that slice of sengkuang and one day without a ride home. The incident left a dent in my confidence, I dared not make an attempt to enjoy that Uncle's specialty. My sengkuang story ended there and then.

But now that I can drive and I provide my own ride home, my sengkuang episode conveniently continues. No more pushing or shoving or be lost in the tsunami of little kids coz I would be the biggest and the tallest one there with the longest hand to extend my 1rgt for the sengkuang to Wati... muahahahaha. It is in a way very empowering for me ...28 years later. And there I would sit in one corner seeing the world in a whirl wind, and I am inside unaffected by it, nothing mattered at that moment in time, it would be me, the sengkuang and that 2 minutes to myself of sheer school girl's delight over and over again.

If you see a lady in front of a primary school munching on her sengkuang, just leave her alone. She bites.



Thanks Kak Syam!


Thanks Meeza!


Thanks Asmaliza!


Thanks Nani!


Thanks Jessy and Anne. I made a cow instead of an ox. Sorry guys. Anna from bake freshly, I was inspired by your design.

12 treats:

Ms Red Hat said...

dearest whiz,

To be able to write in rhymes is a beautiful gift. I love reading all your beautiful and humble entries. I feel like as if I'm flipping a nursery rhyme book with pages of beautiful colours, wondeful innocent dreams and delightful stories. I do hope that one day you'll publish a cake book with your signature writing style!

I so love sengkuang with kuah rojak and crushed peanuts on it Wiz. When i was in primary school, we also had this 'iconic' ah pek that sold the 'to die for' sengkuang and I always came home 5 sen poorer!

I couldn't find any sengkuang in Perth sob sob sob!

Enida said...

I remember cabai Macau spread on sengkuang and pineapple pieces yang selebar tapak tangan. Topped with crushed peanuts and sugar. Mmmhhh!

Pastu ada pulak Ais Kepai or Ais Kepal to quench the thirst - basically shaved ice balls diguyur rose syrup. Slurrp!

Ms Red Hat, if Perth sama macam Calgary...you might want to look out for Mexican Yam. That's what they are called dekat sinun. I bought one and terkezut it was sengkuang. The next day terus beli 3-4 bijik to munch on! Hehe.

DaNaSh said...

wiz..wiz..i love reading all your entries...rhyme or no rhyme

i don't believe that you struggle to write . I don't believe that you pant and you drown in your own incompetency...ala wiz please leave all those to me..,if you have taken all those characteristics, apa lagi yang tinggal kat diriku ini....hishh..hishh..hissh

sengkuang...everyone seems to associate themselves dengan si enak sejuk putih ni..me too..disapu dgn kuah warna merah..was it kuah rojak? after school..berbaris panjang tunggu giliran nak beli dari pakcik naik basikal tua..the last time merasa was back in 1988..depan sekolah duduk kat tepi longkang tunggu bas. wiz..you make me mengidam pulak lah...

Wiz said...

Salina- There you have it, Enida has spoken, now gi cari Mexican Yam. Sian orang putih ni tak reti nak ckp sengkuang. Ait 5 sen je you beli, kat Ipoh 20sen tau. I boleh beli 4 woooo, bestnya, kiri kanan pegang sengkuang. That is the true wealth to me.

Enida- Alamak nida, why la you must mention all those childhood vendor food. Dah tak jual lagi dah kat area ni. Ais kepal pun dah naik taraf jadi ABC.

Tak pa tak pa, nanti you dah sampai kat Moscow nanti I bukak crita food2 ni lagi skali k, mesti you terliurq, muahahahha. Now makan pueh2 nasi kukus kak kiah, sengkuang kak wati sebab kat Moscow nanti, nak cari Mexican Yam pun susah. Bila nak berangkat by the way?

Wiz said...

Naza- Seriously I pant and I drown in my lack of words la, no joke. You however seem to be bathing in a fountain of words.

Depan sekolah anak you tak jual ke sengkuang ni? I ari2 beli Naza, best, sampai malu dgn adik yang jual tu. Sometimes kan, I suh my daughter to buy for me, sebab tadi dah beli dah, ni second round punyalah ni he he. Nasib baik my kids tak suka, so tak yah nak share2 kan, happy I. Tapi seringgit la one slice so mahal. If ari2 I beli sebulan dah 20ginggit kan. Kalau buat sniri mesti dapat sebakul sengkuang.

myheartbleeds said...

(wiz, this is my second comment -- tadi macam tak jadi jek... pls delete this one if there's duplication, ok?)

Your school canteen sengkuang experience made me go back to mine! It was 20 sen per piece and if you wanted extra crushed peanuts, you pay 30 sen. Once in awhile, I'd pamper myself with the 30 sen sengkuang, it was such a treat!! (can still remember the face of the apek selling it -- lubang jerawat and all!!) haha

Ms Red Hat said...

Enida,

Thanks for the info. Will try to find the mexican yam.

Anis Zainal-Pacleb said...

wiz dear, with all these lovely and inspiring entries & poems, how can la you say that you're struggling to write,,, i ni yang tersemput2 nak menulis ada la....

telan air liur i, teringat kan sengkuang wif kuah rojak spread on it and crushed peanuts, it was 10cents masa i std. 1.... everyday mesti pekena la.....

domestic engineer said...

Menci taw Wiz cakap tntg sengkuang with kuah rojak (am drooling nih...)when I can hardly find it here...ish...ish...Sengkuang tu ada la jual here but kuah rojak tu, I nak buat sendiri?? Ala kirim la some for me here, pleaseeeee...

mº¿ºsh, brecht and nora said...

Dear Wiz, does this means u r gonna STOP writing in rhymes??? Thats awful then, cos your rhymes makes my heavy days lighter and brigther! and i absolutely LOVE sengkuang with kuah rojak and crushed peanuts, i am so craving for that right now.... tapi sini susah nak dapat sengkuang! hhhmmpphh! I shall come back for more, for now, big warm hugs xxxx I go dash of to do my super mum duties!

Wiz said...

MHB - It ooks like everyone here has their sengkuang story kan? FUnny how sengkuang became school children's snack dulu kini dan selamanya, well it's much better than all those fried ones. You admire apek tu ker, sampai lubang jerawat pun nampak ha ha ha.

Anis - You too? bestkan sengkuang tu. Somehow kalau buat sniri, mcm tak best, sebab you tak mkn depan sekolah and tak berpeluh2 makan and tak rebut2 kan? The combo of all tu yang buat sengkuang tu lagi best!!!

Ziela - jgnla menci. Nampaknya setelah buat gulai rebung and rendang and everythign else a superwoman makes, terpaksalah you buat kuah rojak sniri untuk dimakan bersama sengkuang. Post the resepi skali k.

Mush - Are you kidding? Not gonna stop simply because I write faster when I rhyme actually. Whenever I do that it means I do not have time to write a proper entry. My friend said sengkuang is known as mexican yam. Make sure it's not purple bila you slice nanti k.

Creative Touch said...

Sis, cantik la cup cake ni yg wrna pink bwh meeza tuh..actually nak tempah kat akak, x tahu harganya..heheh..pastu ni plak x dijangka sebenarnya.. nak bg gift kat my bestfriend engagement di Brunei pada 22 feb 09 ni..dan ker akak kalo urgent case cmni?? plak nak amik pada hr jumaat 20 feb..adehh..lg beberapa hari jek nihh..sempat ke??puas redah blog kak ni tp x jumpa no cntact akak..:) rply me asap kak..bg harga skali k..if x smpat x pe kak..:)