CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 8, 2008

A Piece Of Cake!

As corny as the title to this entry is, the recipe I'm going to share with you is exactly just that. I have whipped up this recipe twice this Ramadhan and at both times those fragrant slices filled the entire room with much anticipation for break fast. The familiar asian aroma of coconut milk and pandan leaves managed to entice even the anti "pandan" kids. And the fuss free recipe makes any "lazy mama" such as yours truly, to roll up her sleeves and bake without that frown on her face, the twitch in her eye and that limp on her leg. This is an easy peasy recipe folks created especially for undomesticated goddess and common sense impaired people alike. I am all of the above hence a recipe perfect for me.

Coconut Pandan Cake

1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cup of Castor sugar
4 medium large eggs

2 cups of all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt,

1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 teaspoon of pandan essence
1/2 teaspoon of green food colouring

A box of santan(equivalent to 1 cup of thick santan)

1 tablespoon of vegetable oil



Source : My mak's old family resepi book.

Directions:



1. Beat eggs and sugar on high speed untill frothy and creamy. Add in the essences and the food colouring and mix well.


2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into the egg mixture and beat on medium speed.



3. Pour in half of the santan content into the mixture and blend well. Alternate this step with the dry and wet ingredients, finishing off with the dry ingredients. Beat till smooth.


4. Lastly, fold in the vegetable oil in the batter.


5. Pour the batter into loaf tins or you can use an eight inch cake tin.


6. Bake in 180 degrees celcius for 40 minutes or untill the skewer comes out clean.


Serve hot with a cup of steaming kopi kampung.

*To vary, you may add a cup of chocolate chips or raisins.

Have fun baking and see you in a bit.

10 treats:

domestic engineer said...

Wiz, I've been looking for this recipe! Tq I've found it here. The last time I ate this pandan cake was a few years ago baked by my aunt. But masa tu tau makan je. Now that almost everything I want to eat I have to do it myself...hhmmm..Looks easy, I should try this.

U.Lee said...

Hi Wiz, ISaya dapat the lovely scent even here, ha ha. Wow, can I come over? Ada lagi? Two pieces and ice coffee should be fine, ha ha.

Wiz, here's a recipie for you, you might like to try out...

Rose, Rose, I Love You Pudding
Type of Dish Dessert
Cooking Method Boil .

Ingredients:
50g agar-agar strips
3 screwpine leaves (pandan leaves)
1,000ml water
1 cup plain milk
75g sago, soaked and drained
1 egg white, beaten till stiff
Red and green colouring, for roses and leaves

Method:
Cut up the agar-agar strips, wash, then soak in water for about 10 minutes. Bring water to the boil with the screwpine leaves.

Add the agar-agar and cook till dissolved. Put in sugar and bring to the boil. Remove half cup of agar-agar solution. Add colouring and pour into rose-and-leaves portion of the mould.

Add sago to the rest of the agar-agar and cook till transparent. Remove from heat, add in milk and stir in the beaten egg white. Use a whisk to beat well. Pour over set roses and leaves. Leave aside then chill well in the fridge.

If you make it, hantar telegram, saya datang, ha ha. You keep well and have a nice day, Lee.

myheartbleeds said...

I can smell the pandan aroma from here!!

uya ahmad said...

yummmy...sedap nye...ms wiz, post la...da lame i tak rase ur cake....ahh, sedeyh nye.......huhuhu....

Eza said...

salam wizz, I baru visit, intresting blog you have and also the recipes! All this while, I only visit yr fancy cupcakes blog . thanks for sharing !

ADIEJIN said...

adeiii...kejam ah..KEJAMMM!!! HUAAWAAAA... wa nak wa nak...

DaNaSh said...

Wiz..mine would not turn up as green and yummy as yours...guarantee!!!!!! I you could just see my bread pudding...waaaaaaaa

Wiz said...

Ziela- Glad I could share. This is a truly classic recipe, should sell this at your pasar ramadhan.

Mr Lee - Got some more la, come over and bring that guitar of yours. Thanks so mcuh for the resepi. I will try it one day and post the results here as soon as I find the time in between everything else. Thanks for dropping by.

MHB - I looked for the kuih jongkong tu but the makcik tu cuti pulak and also the rest of the jongkong gerai. Drove up to batu 18to search for it and finally found it kat pasar ramadhan sana. Trus bought 5! My kids and hsbd tak suka, so I had all to myself. Best la when they dont like what I like hu hu hu.

Uya - It's so easy sapura, you can mix it by hand je. Try it k.

Eza - aaaaah you found me. Welcome! Glad to share. I havent been cooking lately hence the recipeless entries. Check out my previous entries if you have the time, there are lots there.

Jin - Bro you forgot your standard salutation of Wiizzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Senang je jin, you pun boleh buat dgn sekelip mata je, mix pakai tgn pun boleh, tapi kena pakai headband macam John McEnroe, to avoid peluh menitik masuk dalam kek muahahaha.

Naza - Yes, I can see it now, your pandan cake. Don't forget to put them up in your blog k.

Juliana Mohd Daud said...

hi,

oops...i left a comment in your august08 stuff. sorry, me a bit blur in this stuff!

cut story short, i wonder if you'll allow me to link you to my blog. linda told me all about you...

Sara said...

Looks great!