CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Frangipani

Flowers are the most essential part in any cake decoration and undeniably for me they are also the most difficult. Creating them requires abundance of patience first, then comes the skill and time. And sadly, I have none of the above. As much as I desired to make them look beautiful and perfectly moulded and sculpted, they often ended up looking fake and stiff to these untrained eyes. Not to worry folks, I haven't given up hope, the quest has yet to meet its closure. It's still work in progress, never the end product. Flicker of hope is penetrating through the clouds of doubts and hopefully it will shine on my new patch of sugar garden soon. *apa benda saya cakap ni*

Anyway, after countless of roses, daisies and cherry blossoms, yesterday I tried making another one of my all time favourite flower, the beautiful and fragrant frangipani. We had a huge frangipani tree on our lawn in Rapat Setia Ipoh way back in the late 70's and tis' the reason why I love it so much. I adored every single thing about the tree and its flower. The scent it constantly left on my hand, hair and baju, the velvety surface of the flower which made my hands smooth after, the soothing colours and shape and how it could be stringed into a pretty garland! My days were filled with frangipanis and I relished every single moment of it.

Now, 30 years later, I still am crazy about the flower. Whenever I chanced upon them, like at the KLCC park, near the subang parade commuter station, Taiping lake garden to name a few, I would pick as many flowers as I could, stash them in my bag, and would be contented with the olfactory of my childhood days. And that would make me smile all day and night long.

Below is my attempt of the flower, which failed to do justice to the true beauty of the frangipani. :o(

Thanks Ayot and friend for the order.

6 treats:

yasmin said...

Wiz, ok la tu..I know its tough, I spend the last 2 days trying to make a perfect gum paste rose, but still it turn out terrible ! The yellow colour tu you paint or guna dust ? Looks nice to me.

AISHAH said...

cantik la wiz....

Anis Zainal-Pacleb said...

wiz.... the frangipani looks perfect to me.... tak nampak fake pun.... cantikkkk banget....

mº¿ºsh, brecht & nora said...

Wiz, i thought your flowers looks absolutely gorgeous, siapa kata tak cantik?? cantik lah, bersyukur that u hv such a gifted talent to create such lovely magical looking cakes, cupcakes or anything that u bake! Hope u will win the contest, perhaps that will boost your self esteemed sikit eh makcik. Big hugs for a great weekend....

elara said...

Wiz,Nice frangipani cupcakes and honestly, they don't look dodgy at all. Compared to some other blogs that try to emulate yours, pics of your cupcakes look so much more astonishingly real. I must say that you are good at taking photos too (I am rubbish at that)

Emmm..wonder when will I get to order some.

Wiz said...

Yasmin - Thanks! I used colouring biasa dalam botol tu je. Use some clear vanilla and just take a dab of the yellow mix it with the vanila and paint on the flower. It dries faster like that.

Aishah - Thanks so much.

Anis - I tgh buat cupcakes your mum ni. Trying to outdo the frangipani.

Mush - Thanks so much Mush. I dont think I would win la Mush. I am just happy enough to grace Martha's website. And you know how I would just screech.

Elara - Thnaks for dropping by. There are others trying to emulate mine? really? haven't been around much, but if you know of some do tell me. I get excited just to know I am an "emmulation" worth of a material. Ala, itu camera trick je tu. It looks nice due to the tempering, he he he. And I just used a RM 399 camera je. Thanks for your words. Made my day.