CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Lesson Under the Morning Sun

When I was a university student, long long very long time ago, I craved for my classes to be conducted outside the classrooms. But with the Malaysian hot weather I had to accept the fact that it was an impossible feat. It was just too hot, too humid, the grass was always too damp, the soil was too dirty, everything and everyone was against the idea. Now that I am a teacher, I could actually do anything I desire with my class(muahahaha, muahahaha) and the idea of having a class outside was simply irresisttable.

It was a gorgeous day yesterday. The sun was just tweaking behind the clouds, the air was cool, the trees smiling, the grass winking, all too perfect not to say yes to.And so we did! I packed them some sandwhiches and it was apt to have them outside whilst listening to me relating the lesson of the day. It was spur of the moment kinda thing and I reckoned the students enjoyed it too, despite their grumbles on how their pants and kain being soiled (laughs).


I sat on the tombol batu(lucky me not to dirty my jeans) and my dear students made a semi circle around me. We talked and shared past experiences ( the lesson required them to do that) and how the problems were dealt.The students were asked to take the conch and speak up, taking my tombol batu spot. Amazingly, they didn't look uncomfortable, they went up to the front and started sharing their stories with the rest of the class. I have to say how proud I was upon seeing that, since they are quite a shy bunch. If I were to make them stand in front of the class, I bet the scenario would not be as likable as this one.

Thanks guys for complying to your eccentric teacher's request. I hope you had a great time. Do expect some more of these in the future. It's either you like me to bits or you hate me to death. Either way, you are stuck with me, muahahaha, well at least for one semester! Till our next meeting guys, make sure you come prepared to my class with sneakers or wellington boots next time, coz you will never know what I am up to.(wink)

Ps. I didn't get any shut eye, neither did they.

7 treats:

ADIEJIN said...

U crafty little wizzy. Lucky am not one of ur students..I would've hated it..cannot tidor maa..in class can curi tido.

Wiz said...

Coming from a Jin, this crafty little wiztch takes every single word as a compliment. And if you were in my class, you would be seated in front of me right under my nose.

suealeen said...

wiz,

we did this in our school, sitting on the grass in early morning, learning BM with the soil and dew! felt so fresh to see the green surrounding. that was somewhere around 1993! missed the memories so much...

mº¿ºsh, brecht & nora said...

i would have enjoyed being your student Wiz, but once in awhile oklah, but all the time duduk kat luar under the hot blazing sun, aku dah lah gelap, semakin gelap aku Wiz heheheh But u r one cooL, witty teacher, they r so lucky!

Wiz said...

Sue - very nice your teacher kan to do that. I made them sit outside coz it was too beautiful a day not to do it. I didn't want to let the day pass just like that. Thanks for coming by.

Mush - It was at 8am Mush, still very fresh and cool. I wouldn't make them bask under the hot sun for no reason, well maybe if they are naughty, muaha ha ha. I am a lousy teacher in that sense. But so far they have been good, this is the local students ye, bukan Pak2 Arab yang tidak faham erti kata hormat itiew (just in case they are reading this, he he he)Oh yeah, sorry for not publishing your earlier comment sebab I takut pakcik2 berjanggut tu mai sini baca posting saya. Depa dapat access terus kepada blog saya ni.

uya ahmad said...

hey miz....just read ur blog bout us....we're so proud to have our face on ur page...
gagagagaga....=)
me(sapura), fadzillah, and nadiah were so happy read what u have wrote bout us.......
p/s: want some more sandwiches

Wiz said...

Hi Sapura, to you and the rest of the class, please address me as teacher k and by the way it's not Miz la, it's wiz, aiyoyo.

Nice to have you around. Do come by and leave comments, I want you guys to have the confidence to write and express yourself here. Since we won't be meeting this week, tell the rest to finish up the homework and to ask them to come in here and write, compulsory!

About the sandwhiches, well, if I have the time early in the morning to prepare them I would, if not you just have to feast on my face for breakfast, how's that?