CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Waiting to Exhale

If I were to say "... it took a lot of guts to go back to teaching", You can't imagine how literal that was. A lot of guts is mild compared to what I had to go through. It was more of a disembowelment process to be exact!

My tummy has always been giving me problems ever since the cystectomy I had to undergo 5 years ago. Prof Zainul(very very sweet guy, I think all doctors should be as sweet as him, but unfortunately doctors kat malaysia ni susah sangat nak senyum and appear caring, semua pun macam marah je kita datang nak jumpa dia, Argh!) had forewarned me about the complications and the discomforts of post surgery and I swallowed it in a stride. "... your inside has been realigned, it is not the same as it was, so the journey of things would be different." well those were not his exact words but the gist is basically there. Due to the procedure, somehow, I am now lactose intolerant, and after yesterday I just found out I am also soya intolerant.

Tau Fu Fa is a favourite dessert in this house and every pasar malam trip I would spend around 4 to 5 rgt just to buy them. Still, there were never enough for the kids and the mama. Consequently, the story of making my own tau fu fa began. Followed the recipe given by one of the RN members,(will share the recipe later) equipped with the biggest pot I could find and with three handfuls (my daughter's, my son's and mama's)of kacang soya which was joyfully dumped into the blender, the tau fu fa experience has certainly reached its ultimate level of our infinite consumption! Everyone was extremely excited, imagine...unlimited servings of tau fu fa, no more squabbling, no more screaming of who should have the last spoonful, no more eating behind the washing machine for me, he he he, and all the money that we could save to buy keropok lekor and mangga juice and roti John instead! Looking at the Tau Fu Fa pot was liberating enough, for all three. Scoops and scoops of Tau fu fa were dropped inside the kids bowl with generous amount of brown sugar syrup, served chilled. We were in Tau Fu Fa haven that day. The kids kept coming back for more, and even with one big pot, they still quarelled. Yours truly had probably only, not that many, a meagre amount of three bowls.

The following day was supposed to be my first day of teaching at one of the local Universities, after being absent for more than five years. I was overwhelmed with mixed emotions of anxieties, insecurities, super natural entities, malas-ties and no baju to wear-ties.(laughs) I was having butterflies in my tummy, and so I thought, it was actually the initial rumble in the bronx of my disembowelment episode. At 2am approximately,the purging and vomitting commenced. I was practically hanging my self onto the toilet seat. However, I managed to crawl back to bed only at 4.30am. Exhausted, and drained of fluids I woke up at 6am and prepared my kids to school before I ran back up to express myself again. I rummaged my fridge for some sort of medication to stop the purging and found nothing...except for my son's pink ubat cirit. I held my breath and downed the whole bottle! It was the worst medication I have ever tasted, a mix between sludge, slime and Shrek's wax. But it worked!

Approaching the class with the inhales and exhales of shoop shoop sheesh, shoop shoop shees, I prayed hard I would not accidently slip a malodorous offender in class and made a fool of myself. Taught them for two hours with lots of activities and vocabulary exercises and triumphantly kept all sorts of fetid, repugnant air within. None of the students could tell from my bluish face that I was trying to contain myself and that is victory in every meaning of the word. It is true like they say, definition of success differs from one person to another. Just for today alone, the meaning of success for yours truly is simply facing a room full of zero English speaking Arab students with ... a lot of guts!(pun intended)

5 treats:

anasalwa said...

Dear Wiz my cupcake,
Congratulations on your new teaching job(I know , I know it's not new). It must be interesting to teach English to a roomful of zero English speaking Arab Students. Were they nice?

Wiz said...

Hmmmm, they were very curious about a lot of things. A rowdy bunch and the only students I have ever encountered who negotiated their homework. They refused to do the activities I asked, like reading aloud. I have to practically peeled them off their chair. I conduct my classes with a lot of movements, I am known for that but apprently these people disliked it. Too bad they got me as a teacher. But the only consolation for the day was, they thought I was 21 years old! ha ha ha, try adding 14 more to that figure boys!

kc said...

ahh, they're just being polite...heheh!

happy teaching, teacher!

rinnchan said...

Macam cakap dengan dinding bisu ye Wiz..heh heh heh. Better that way, if they're english-spoken, silap2 haribulan you yg kena buli..!!!!
Happy teaching, Cikgu Wiz...

elara said...

Hiya,
My first time blog-hopping here. I think in the arab culture especially those living in rural areas, ladies always take a back seat in may aspects, if you get my drift. So when they come to a country like Malaysia,they get a shock of their lifetime seeing many successful & educated women such as your good self standing in front and commanding them. There will come a time where you must make clear to them not to mess with you, being stroppy, cheeky & obnoxious. My two pennies worth is you could try a subtle approach in the beginning and be blunt with them if they still pay no heed to your lessons & instructions. Good Luck!