CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 29, 2007

Meet Pie

I woke up to another beautiful day today, looking forward to a family gathering at my cousin's house. She just moved into a brand new bungalow house somewhere in Kuang, * my husband couldn't help saying"...kuang, kuang kuang!" every time we had to refer to her address to a point of annoyance* and I was designated to do a meat pie. A meat pie? Everyone else has always asked me to bake cakes or pastries or cookies, but meat pie? I was perplexed to the point of being amused at her request but the more I thought about it the better I understood the significance of the meat pie ordered that day.

My cousin and her whole family have been ordering birthday cakes from me throughout the year for almost all their birthdays *sweet of them kan?* And I presumed they are tired of eating my cakes, which is only natural, coz I am tired of my cakes too. Hence the order of a savoury item for her open house. But on another light, a meat pie consists some sort of unification of meat, potatoes, onions, and flour which clearly represent the state of being a family. Regardless of the different ingredients inserted inside a dish they will all be consolidated in our bellies just like a family should. Yes that's it, that"s the reason why Kak Lin ordered a meat pie, coz she had thought about the representations, the symbolism and the personifications of what that dish would mean to this whole gathering. Ha ha ha,*faints* I think I would place my bet on the former more than on the latter. Or perhaps she was just craving for something different. Haih, me and my 1 am thoughts.
Anyway, this is the recipe to the meat pie, just in case you are wondering about the symbolism, the representations and the personifications of the ingredients!*giggles*



Meat Pie

For Base

3 cups of flour,
180gm of butter,
half teaspoon of salt.
1/3 cup of cold water,
Rub in the cold butter in the flour till it turns crumbly. Mix bit by bit with cold water till dough is formed. Chill for 15 minutes.
Roll out and press onto your baking dish.

For Filling

1kg minced meat,
1 cup of all purpose flour,
1 teaspoon of salt,
1 teaspoon of sugar,
1 teaspoon of black pepper,
Mix everything together.

Saute a fistful of diced onions and a cupful of diced capsicums till fragrant. Add 2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoon of tomato sauce, 2 tablespoon of oyster sauce and 2 teaspoon of black pepper. Then add the 1 kg minced meat and cook till brown. Leave to cool.

For Topping

5 ,bigger than your fist, potatoes, peeled and cut and boiled.
Mash well with 2 Tablespoon of butter, 2 Tablespoon of cream cheese and half cup of milk. Salt and pepper to taste.

To assemble, press the dough on the base of your baking dish and bake for ten minutes. Take out the pressed pastry from the oven and scoop the cooked meat onto the base and lastly cover the surface with the mashed potatoes. Bake till top is golden brown.

Serve warm with your favourite mushroom or black pepper sauce and of course that "you know all of us would pound on a few kilos after dishing this" smile...

2 treats:

Akmal said...

Assalamualikum.

This is my first time here. I saw you at Pak Idrus's blog.

I dont really know how to cook. but I am good at eating; and that meat pie looks very delicious! Perhaps I should try your recipe.

Wiz said...

Walaikumsalam Akmal,

If you love eating and enjoy a good bake, then you should definitely try this recipe. Good to have a young man of 19 years old who enjoys cooking and eating here. This blog is the blog for you then.

Thanks for the visit and the comment, would love to hear from you again. Cathca later.