CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 29, 2007

Cherry Cake


The cherries from my Semperit endeavour this Raya are still in abundance and I don't think I will be making anymore Semperits for a couple of months to come, well maybe for Raya Haji, and I hate for it to mould and turn hard in my refrigerator. I browsed through for a cherry cake on the internet and found this recipe which looked simple enough to make. I altered it a bit here and there, since I don't have some of the ingredients at hand but the outcome turned out to be impressive in taste as well as in presentation.


Cherry Cake
Source: Delia
Ingredients
225 gm butter at room temperature
200 gm caster sugar
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
225 gm plain flour
1/2teaspoon baking powder
250 gm glacé cherries, quartered
110 g almonds nibs
a few drops vanilla essence
1 tablespoon milk


Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
You will also need a round cake tin, 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter and 4 inches (10 cm) deep. Line the base and sides of the tin with greaseproof paper or baking parchment, then grease the paper.


Cream the butter and sugar together until light, pale and fluffy. Now gradually beat in the whisked egg a little at a time. Then sift the flour and baking powder together, and carefully fold this into the creamed mixture using a metal spoon. Toss the quartered cherries in together with the ground almonds, and carefully fold these into the cake, adding one or two drops of almond essence and the milk. Now spoon the cake mix into the prepared tin, level off the top with the back of a spoon, then sprinkle with the demerara sugar.

Bake the cake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour, cover with foil and continue cooking for a further 30 minutes, or until the cake has shrunk away from the side of the tin and the centre is springy to touch. Cool the cake in the tin for 15 minutes before turning it out on to a wire rack to cool. Store in a tin.

I iced the cake with whip cream and garnish it with more cherries on top.

7 treats:

Salina said...

You are so wicked wiz! The cherry cake looks incredibly yummy and elegant if i may add. Bilalah i nak dapat rasa all your new recipes. Oct 2008 seems like a decade from now!

You bake cakes as if you prepare every day dinner for your family.

Wiz said...

I baked two and gave both away as peace offerings *giggles*

If you were here, I would have given one to you, as I always did.

ADIEJIN said...

it is so unfortunate that my taste buds are not that receptive to such beauty. I like to look at em cakes but i just do not eat em.

Tapi I love banana and choc cakes.. ada pandai mikin ka ? ada sedap ka ?

Wiz said...

Hey Adiejin,

Manyak suke banana cake and chocolate cake? ya, ya ada buat, chocolate cake is my signature cake, banana cake pulak, selalu tak sempat nak buat coz me kids would prance and leap upon seeing bananas in the house and make sacrifices out of them. Thanks for dropping by.

Akmal said...

Hi Kak Wiz,

Fullamak, tak bleh blah la akak punye kek, MELATOP!!!
Really took me back to my birthday last three years( a surprise party, to be more speific). They served me with cherry cake too ( kinda not a good match with me, but what the hell!) Such a ummph...

Akak, do you have a bakery? If you have none, you should start with one you know(",)?

Wiz said...

Heyya Akmal,

If I opened a bakery, trust me you would be one of the first to know, alright!

Thanks so much Akmal for dropping by, how was your exam?

Akmal said...

Hi kak wiz,

Peh, the first one to know tu(",).

Exam? Well, so far, it is Ok, Just wait for the result. I fit is Awesome or just ok, I'll talk BIG! But, let say it is a duh...you know what i will do right(",)???