CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Take to Heart


My father was admitted to IJN two days ago. He was experiencing faint spells and shortness of breath and was advised to go for a more thorough check up at IJN. He is alright now, the doctor gave him the thumbs up after the procedure and was discharged a day later. His cholesterol level is still high and he has to be on a constant low fat diet. So no more fattening santan dishes, those creamy durians and puluts, which are all his favourite by the way.


When I went to see him at my sis's place, I decided to bring him some wholesome goodness from my sekangkang semut oven. A freshly baked "heart friendly" desserts, that couldn't get any healthier than these. It's my version of carrot cake, and I think these are the best ones I have made so far. This is a must try recipe and should be a keeper as well, simply because of its healthy entities. Your heart would love you for making them and they are moist, oozing with natural goodness and most importantly, delicious.

Carrot Cake

1 cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda,
half teaspoon salt,
2 large Omega 3 eggs,
1/2 cup brown sugar,(the sugar has been reduced, you could put 1 cup)
3/4 cup canola oil,
1 teaspoon vanilla,
1 teaspoon cinnamon,
1 1/2 cup grated carrots,
1 cup grated peeled red apples,
half cup roasted chopped walnuts,
half cup raisins.

1. Sift flour, baking soda, salt and set aside.
2. Beat eggs, sugar and add oil, vanilla and spice, beat till well combined.
3. Spoon in the dry ingredients and continue to beat.
4. Stir in carrots, apples, walnuts and raisins.

Bake at 175 C till skewer comes out clean or till golden brown.

8 treats:

mamazieza said...

sedap ekkk..... ni mesti nak cuba ni.. semua pun nak cuba.. tapi bila ekkk.. apa kata wiz buat lagi pastu wiz hantor kat mama.. hehehehe...

mamazieza said...

dok sibuk pasal makan lupa plak nak tanya khabar ayah wiz.. dah dicharge ekkk.. so good to hear... cuma sekarang pantang makan jerr laa kena jaga.. takut pantang jumpa jerrr... hehehe...tapi takpe dapat anak yang pandai masak cam wiz... haha.. takperasa tu dia kena pantang.. sebab makanan yang datang macam2 ada.

Wiz said...

Bestnya tgk gambar gathering. Ada tak simpankan untuk wiz sikit mama? Wiz ni kan pandai masak sgt, especially lauk pauk. Setakat keks boleh la kut. Next time if ada gathering lagi wiz bawak carrot kek for mama k.

Salina said...

Dear Wiz,

Sorry to hear about your father too. You must be very worried about his condition. What mamazieza said is true, he is blessed with a daughter who is a good cook.

Your health is actually your main wealth apart from your strong faith in god. The thought of getting one of these diseases - cardiac arrest, diabetes, hypertension and cancer - in my later age always haunts me. i am approaching 40 in a few years' time and that's the time your body starts to wreck. Yes, Wiz. I am now very conscious of the food that i take. I am taking diabetic rice just to avoid unnecessary accumulation of carb in my body. My korean coursemate even taught me not to take much rice for any of my meals. Boy it was very hard at first -perut melayulah katakan. Every time i have lunch or dinner at her house, she only serves 'lauk' no rice. She trained me to replace rice with potatoes. Meat is always fish and free range chicken- of course from the halal shop and a mountain of vegetables. She also prefers halal meat as she said it is clean.

My husband,despite my 'dotting wife attempt' to serve him good healthy food - he still sneaks into the kitchen in the middle of the night for instant noodles. I've got to play hide and seek with him -hiding the noodles at places that he can't think of. Alhamdulillah i manage to stop my addiction to instant noodles though at times i have to admit that i miss my PAMA instant beehoon noodles.

Wiz said...

No rice? I can go without it for 3 days top. Peh tu macam ada something missing, and your switches start to go haywire, and before you know it your system shuts down. Or is it just me?

mamazieza said...

fuhh.. mama kalau tak dapat nasik sehari.. mau pengsan dibuatnya.. hehehehe... I have never tried to go without rice... but maybe I can leave on bread... all sorts of bread.. hantu roti and sanwidches.. hehehe...kalau mama stay kat hotel and have breakfast there... I will only eat bread not yang lain2 tu semua....semua roti, pastries mama akan makan.. tapi tak nasi ke mee ke.. kuih muih ke.. hehehe

Salina.. boleh tak beri mama your emel add... kalau ada ym ke.. wiz? ada ym ke? kalau ada boleh laa emel kat mama ekk.. my emel mamazieza@yahoo.com incase laa ada orang dah lupa.. muahahahah

Wiz said...

Kita baru beli computer, so belum set YM lagi. Nanti wiz buat k mama and we can Yming togeder

Salina said...

Okay mama this is my email add - sitisalinas@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks mama. I've got tonnes of "craps" to send it to you. Mama i love your rose cuppies.

Agreed. Living without rice is tortuous esp for the malays. i have to admit that i admire people who can live without rice. But i am working hard to cut down my rice intake. Thank god i don't easily put on weight but my 'love handle' is growing in size by the day and i don't have the time to do sit up! tiap kali buat tak boleh bangun lepas tu!