It was that time of the month again when I was forced by myself to clean the fridge. There were so many items that should have been in the garbage bin by now, things like 2 weeks old half bitten apple*my son's teeth mark was still visible*, 3 weeks old roti canai gravy,*which I kept just in case I wanted to eat it with roti* 10 days old slice of cake that turned rock hard which could have been used as a murder weapon, 16 days old cabbage and other greens that have disintegrated and have somehow diluted and had to be scooped out with a spoon and many other food items that just shouldn't be there anymore. But there were some good ones that still looked ok which got to stay, well at least till my next " operation fridge". I also took out a week's old loaf of bread and was trying hard to think of ways of how I could trick my kids into eating them, coz I wouldn't!*cruel grin* And here's what I have come up with...
Cheesy Savoury Bread Puff
1 bunch of spring onions, sliced,
Half cup(that's all I had) of diced chicken breast,
About 10 slices of white bread,could be more,depends on the size of your baking dish.
About 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese,
2 eggs whisked in 2 cups of milk with salt and pepper to taste.
1. Grease your baking dish with margarine.
2. Saute the chicken and spring onions till brown,
3. Meanwhile cut the bread into triangles and layer half of them in the baking dish.
4. Top with spring onions and chicken and half of the cheese
5. Beat together eggs and milk and season with salt and pepper. Layer the remaining
triangles of bread in the dish and carefully pour over the milk mixture. Leave
to soak for 15 minutes.
6. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the soaked bread pudding.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 190 C for 30 minutes or until puffed up and golden
It's an easy, must try recipe and it's a great way of making your kids finish all those leftover breads. And with the finished product looking all puffed up like that, they won't even know that it was bread under all those cheese, trust me. I think I'm gonna have some too...
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
Posted by Wiz at 1:40 PM