CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 1, 2007

In Love I Fell with Cake of Caramel


To my mum a trip to the market is for her to pester the fish monger, to annoy the grocer,*she bargains, till she gets the best price* to race for the most sought after lepats in town, to buy a few pieces of tosai, to get my dad's favourite kuehs, and to look forward to bringing home a few pieces of the caramel cake( kek gula hangus.) This weekly affair which she dutifully carries out is not just to replenish the fridge, but also to meet up with friends, to indulge in those endless arrays of traditional kuehs and to get that much needed exercise. She is 68 years old but still going strong. It's probably due to all the brisk walking she has done when she goes marketing and the few pieces of caramel cake a week. But off late, she grumbles that the makcik that sells the caramel cake was no longer in business and she doesn't know where to get that type of cake anymore. I have never attempted to do this bengkang or neither have I come across this recipe. But after subscribing to RN I have been introduced to many recipes and found one that resembles the caramel cake that my mum loves so much. I have never liked this bengkang type of kueh, any bengkang of any type was a big NO to me. I don't know why, but after making some today, I realized that age has caught up with me and I am this bengkang lover now. I don't believe I'm saying this, but I like the taste of caramel, not too sweet, and also the moist dark texture. So, mak, I will be bringing these back for you tomorrow, a week's ration of kek gula hangus for you to savour.

Recipe Kek Gula Hangus
Source: Mak Lang from RN


1 cup sugar
1 cup hot water
2 Tablespoon butter

Heat sugar on low fire. When it has browned and diluted, pour boiling hot water into the syrup. In goes the butter and mix well. Set aside.

4 eggs
1 cup condensed milk,
1 cup flour,
2 teaspoon soda,
1 teaspoon vanilla.

Whisk eggs and milk till fluffy and pour into the blender. Press pulse a few seconds, and scoop in bit by bit the flour. Hit pulse again and lastly pour the caramel sugar mix with the rest of the batter. Press pulse till well mixed. Leave it in the blender for 2 hours. Bake for 60 minutes at 160 degrees bottom heat only. The remaining 11 minutes use both top and bottom heat.


I serve this with my chilled cream sauce and this is the recipe.

Cream Sauce


1.Beat 1 egg yolk plus 1 tablespoon of sugar in a bowl till mixture is light and
frothy.
2.Heat up 1 cup of milk until just boiling and slowly pour into the egg mixture,
whisking constantly.
3.In another bowl, add 2 teaspoon cornflour with two to three tablespoon of plain
water, mix well and pour into the egg mixture and heat up till it reaches a thick
consistency. Serve chilled.

0 treats: