CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Delivering Barbie: No Child's Play...

My journey back to Ipoh has never been as nerve wrecking as this recent one, except for when I had to bring my boyfriend(now my husband) to meet my parents, all of us were sweating profusely even with the air condition at full blast...well that's another long story. This time around, I had to transport a standing fondant Barbie cake, and we were all going in my brother's car! The car wasn't a problem at all, it's a Honda CRV with DVD to keep my children occupied and their hands off the cake, it was my brother's driving that worried me. Yeop, as he is fondly called, drives through everything, every single bump, ramp and hump. It was a joyride for my kids though...weee, yea, woow, but it was ride of terror for me!!!!! The cake was initially placed in front, but half way through my daughter noticed..."Mama, why is barbie leaning?" I wanted to cry. We had to move the cake to the back whilst the car was still moving. Barbie had moved from its base cake and the fondant was everywhere! I had to dial the emergency number...my sis's, my only hope.*Thanks Da* The plan was to cover the tears, cracks and all the other "lacerations" of poor Barbie with candies, smarties, jellybeans, mentos, marshmallows or whatever it took to fix it. I instructed my sis to get the sweets before we reached Ipoh.

To cut the story short, it took over 150 drops of Mentos,*excluding the ones lost in my sis's, my mum's mouths*, 20 jellybeans and a cup of royal icing to repair Barbie. I practically cleared the nearby Makcik's shop off her Mentos! And the outcome is....

Initially it looked like this...



4 gruelling hours later it looked like this...



I think it looked better after.

And this is the birthday girl's expression upon seeing her Barbie cake...



Everyone complimented on how nice Barbie turned out and fortunately no one except for my sis, husband, and kids knew about the catastrophic episode with Barbie.
It was a colourful birthday party with great food, wonderful company, beautiful weather, balloons, bubbles and smiles in the air.





Even Baby Fira was all smiles,



and that made Makyang very happy.

2 treats:

Salina said...

Dear Wiz,

It's worth the trouble when you saw the smile spread on the child's face. Just to share with you a hadith that i read recently. Rasulullah encourages us to cheer up children and the elderlies when we meet them. In your case Wiz, you have cheered up dozens of kids by now. Banyak pahala!

There's a blessing in disguise in any unpredictable events. It made you stretch your creativity at a critical moment and made the cake even more attractive. A well done job wiz!

I am flying to Australia tomorrow. Just for a week to activate my permanent residency status. Nak pesan kangaroo ke?

Love
Salina

Wiz said...

No, thanks, I have three live and kicking ones at home! have fun, and do take this time to just lay back and relax k. Hope to hear you soon.