CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 7, 2007

Twist'em


I made mine all fat and pudgy


It's amazing what you can do with a bag of flour. If handed to different people all around the world, you may end up with a mountain of mouth watering creations. You don't even need to be that ambitious to tour the world to do that, though I think that would make a great show on its own, just hand a bag to different neighbours and you would still be surprised of the edible outcome from this project.

If I had a bag of flour left, and that happened to be the last source of food for my family, I would probably make cucurs out of it. You get plates and plates of them and your children would stay full for a long time. Dangerously yesterday, I was left with only one bag of flour. I thought I had more stashed somewhere, but evidently I didn't. Instead of scurrying to get some more, which I should have been doing since I had cake orders for the next day, I gleefully used it to make pretzels! Not just any pretzels but Auntie Anne's Pretzels! No regrets whatsoever, the pretzels I made turned out exactly like Auntie Anne's, seriously. I have always been searching for the clone recipe and last Sunday on an entirely different mission I stumbled upon this Clone Recipe book at Pay Less Book Store at Amcourt Mall.( Should go there!) It was as if it had been waiting for me .( this is the effect of feeding on the "Secret" book) Like they say, the rest was History. I get the feeling that you are scrolling down fast to have a look at the recipe now. So, here goes:

Makcik Anne's Pretzels

1 1/4 cups of warm water,
1 Tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon yeast
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups plus 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar/icing sugar sieved,
1 1/2 teaspoon salt,
2 teaspoon vegetable oil.

Bath

1/2 cup baking soda dissolve in 4 cups of water.

Kosher salt to sprinkle, ( I used Halalgel Rock Salt, can be found at tesco)
or
1/2 castor sugar plus 2 teaspoon cinnamon ( I used 1 only)
Mix sugar and cinnamon and coat the pretzels when they are still warm.

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water for a few minutes.
2. Combine flour, icing sugar, salt in large bowl.
3. Add the yeast mixture and oil and stir with spoon first.
4. When it has come to form a ball knead with hand for five minutes and let it rest
for 45 minutes or till it doubles in size.
5. Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
6. Remove dough from bowl and divide to 8 even portions.

7. Roll it till it's two to three feet long and twist it(refer picture)
8. Ok now, take the twisted dough and dip it into the bath solution. (This
will brown the pretzels nicely)
9. Arrange the pretzels on your baking tray which has been buttered and sprinkle
some salt on the ones that you want them salty. For the cinnamon ones don't.
10. Bake 4 to 5 minutes and spin your tray around so that the pretzels brown evenly.
11. When it's golden brown, remove from oven and brush with plenty of butter before
coating them with the cinnamon sugar or whatever toppings of your fancy.

Enjoy! I certainly did gobble a few before running to the nearest shop to grab some bags of flour for my cake orders. I should have done the running before the eating...*panting*

6 treats:

Salina said...

Dear Wiz,

The pretzel reminds me of the knot that i did when i was a brownie. The difference is it is so fat and pudgy (borrowing your adjectives) that it makes my stomach rumbles!Can't wait to try your recipe once May is over! Hey! I've got an oven in my "sekangkang kera" kitchen and have been baking pizza since. My culinary skill improves tremendously lately as i can't afford to dine and lunch at the restaurants! There are no hakwers here! sob! sob! I miss the rojak at Sungai Long!

Love
Salina

Wiz said...

I hope you do try the recipes I have put on my blog. They are fool proof. I would not feature a recipe that, at one glance would put you off. So, hope you would come back and bake me something for a change, alright? How bout that pizza?

Deanna said...

i am malaysian,residing in abu dhabi. i tried a copycat auntie anne's pret and they turned out nothing to the original. i didnt give up until i scrolled to yr blog and i want to believe yrs will not dissapoint me becos the ing and method are slightly different. and malaysians dont tipu tipu...cant trust all that is in the Net..deanna. will tell u if i have been successful ok>

Wiz said...

I have quite a few readers who have tried this recipe and none yet said it didn't turn out good! So, I hope yours is just as the original as the ones I made. I even have a friend who swears by this recipe. The trick is to roll thinly like aunty annes, I didin't coz I like them fat and big. Maybe you could do both. Yes do tell me the outcome k. Thanks for the visit.

Deanna said...

hi wiz,
i tried your posted cloned pretzel recipe this afternoon and my family approved! being my greatest food tasters and critics, their approvals said it all.

the prets turned out tasty and nice to eat, unlike the first auntie annie's copycat internet recipe i tried 2 days earlier. i consider the latter recipe failed miserably compared to yrs.

i think to be just like auntie annie's Pret, i may need to add melted butter to the batter or maybe shortening as americans tend to use more shortenings than butter in some of their bakings.

to correct myself, i am not a very good baker and being new to pret recipe, i may not had handled the recipe well. so if yrs turned out exactly like auntie annie's, then perhaps it is just me who need to practice more to actually get the exact taste.
In all, i am over the moon with this recipe!
tks and btw, may i know the title of the cloned recipe book u purchased fr Pay Lee bookstore? maybe i could order or read it thru internet? any website i could peruse to see that book pls? tks so much and enjoy baking great stuffs!
deanna

Wiz said...

Hi again Deanna! Glad you liked the recipe. To claim that my pretzel tasted exactly like the original is an overstatement of course. I'm sure to other people it didn't, but to me it was just as good, especially eaten hot. The book? well I need to look for it first, lost it. But I have tried other recipes in there but it didn't turn out that good. There was no famous amos recipe, I can assure you that, only burger king recipes and some other fast food ones. Ok Deanna, have fun perfecting your pretzzies!