CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 28, 2007

Recipe from the Pasar Malam


The Pasar Malam entry has definitely whet the appetite of some of my friends from overseas, especially after being away for quite some time. The pictures didn't do justice to the real taste and aroma of the food such as Apam Balik, Keropok Lekor, Laksa, and local fruits like durians and mangoes. There are just too many food to sample, so many things to see and those are good reasons to make you come back for more. Each trip presents new discoveries of interesting gadgets, latest scarf designs, homemade toys, fresh bundles of second-hand wares, traditional concoctions of herbal medicines, the findings are endless, I could go on and on. The atmosphere of it all is incomparable to anything that I have ever experienced before. It is like a flea market cum car boot sale cum funfair cum expo, all under one sky.

The picture above is one of the local favourite desserts,*Salina, stop drooling* called Apam Balik or Sweet Pancake.*no, we don't normally eat this for breakfast* It's crunchy at the outside and soft and sweet,bursting with flavours in the inside. The locals seldom make this delicacy at home as it can be easily obtained at the pasar malam and with RM1.30 for a big piece, why make when you can just buy them cheap and tasty. But for my friends overseas, no matter where you are, I have looked up this recipe for you to try at home, unless you can get hold of one at your own flea market. Check out the recipe below.

Apam Balik (Sweet Pancakes)
Source: Hawkers Delight by Jabbar Ibrahim

Batter
340gm all purpose flour
4 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoon sugar
2 small eggs - beaten
half teaspoon salt
2 cups water
1 cup milk
2 teaspoon vegetable oil

Fillings
3 teaspoon roasted ground peanut
6 teaspoon margarine/butter
6 teaspoon sugar
6 teaspoon sweetcorn(canned)

Preparing batter:
1. Mix flour sugar and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add milk, eggs,
oil and water.

Preparing the Apam Balik
1. Heat a frying pan until very hot
2. Take a large spoonful of batter,more if you like it thicker, evenly onto
greased pan.
3. When batter is half cooked, sprinkle some groundnuts, sugar, and sweetcorn.
The amount depends on how juicy you fancy your pancake.
4. Dab a little bit of butter, cover pan.
5. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and fold into two.
7. Serve hot!

4 treats:

Salina said...

Dear Wiz,

Okay wiz your next assignment,is to take loads of pix in Putrajaya.
Thanks for giving my friends a glimpse of Malaysia. My friends are practically your friends too as they have been reading your blog. Pasar malam is part of our life style and please do some write up on Kuala Kangsar or Ipoh the next time you go back to your kampung. My Korean friends especially would like to visit Malaysia.

Wiz said...

Do say Hi to all your friends, tell them, I would love to hear from them, in any language! Alright, putrajaya it is. ...away she goes, slings her 399 camera on her shoulder and make a run for it before the kids wake up and realize, mum has left the building!

.annisa. said...

Salaam kak wiz,

I, too, have been introduced to your blog by Kak Salina. Intro jap.

I am a bruneian postgraduate studying in Leeds, that's how I get to know Kak Salina.

Anyways, I think in Brunei, "apam balik" is called, (for lack of better words - no surprise here) -- "kueh malaysia" or "kueh malaya" if I'm not mistaken. But prolly that's just how I've always known it for, since it has always been a favourite of mine since I was a little girl. No doubt I miss tasting it now that I'm far away from home. But thanks to you, at least it sounds 'do-able' for overseas students like us :D :D

Anyways, keep up the great work. The cakes are gorgeously made. Any chance of hiring you when it's time for me to get married? :D

Wiz said...

Walaikumsalam Annisa,

Thanks for writing in, I love reading comments and replying them, makes me feel like the person you write to in those "Ask Martha" column or something like that, ha ha ha. Hope you have tried the apam balik resepi, do tell me of your outcome. It would be an honour for me to do your wedding cake,(if you trust these shaky hands) but the question is how are you going to transport it to Brunei, unless you get married here. Well, I guess we cross the bridge when we get there, alright. Do drop by again and write some more k, appreciate it.